Many people think spring mattresses only have foam and coil layers inside. But guess what? There can be another material used in them, such as fiberglass. In this post, I will answer the question: Do spring mattresses have fiberglass or not?
Do Spring Mattresses Have Fiberglass?
The answer is yes. The most common types of mattresses that contain fiberglass are coil and innerspring mattresses. Fiberglass, or glass fiber, is a special material made by combining reinforced plastic and glass.
This material may pose some risks when used in mattresses. Here are some things to consider before buying a spring mattress:
Where is fiberglass in a spring mattress?
Fiberglass is often used as insulation between the foam layers or around the coils. Sometimes, you can find it beneath the mattress cover. Regardless of where this material is located in the mattress, it can have a negative impact on your body, particularly if you inhale it.
Inhaling these particles can irritate the respiratory system, leading to symptoms such as wheezing, difficulty breathing, and coughing. When the small fibers enter your lungs, they can cause irritation. In some cases, those particles can cause respiratory issues like bronchitis and asthma. Additionally, they can cause allergies and skin irritation.
In fact, not all products with this material are harmful to your health. Yet, it would be best to stay cautious when using it, especially when you already have respiratory problems.
Why does a spring mattress have fiberglass?
In the past, mattresses used flame retardants to prevent fires, but these chemicals posed significant health risks. Hence, some companies have stopped using chemicals, and they’ve found alternatives like glass fiber for their products. The advantage is that this material is not found on the exterior of the mattress. Thus, while these warnings are meant to ensure your safety, they may also indicate the presence of this unsafe material. In this case, it acts as a protective layer inside the spring mattresses to stop flames from spreading.
In this case, it acts as a protective layer inside the mattress. So, the idea of using glass fiber may seem scary, but it just aims to keep you safe from fire hazards. That’s why many mattress manufacturers still employ it in their production processes.
How To Know A Spring Mattress Without Fiberglass?
If you are looking for a spring mattress without fiberglass, don’t worry! I’ve got some tips to share after spending weeks searching for safe products.
- Check the fiberglass list: Before shopping for a new mattress, look for a list of brands that use this material.
- Read the label: Checking the label of the product can help you identify mattresses that may contain fiberglass. If you spot anything related to glass fiber, you can avoid that product.
- Origin: Check where the mattress is manufactured. If it comes from the USA, there can be a low chance of glass fiber. However, if it’s a Chinese product, you should be more careful.
- Watch for red flags: Some spring mattresses have warnings about not removing or washing the covers, which may indicate the presence of fiberglass. Thus, they warn you to ensure your safety, but those warnings may indicate the presence of this unsafe material.
- Do online research: You can research the materials of the product. Then, read customer reviews on product pages or forums to ensure the model you want to buy is safe.
What To Do If A Spring Mattress Has Fiberglass?
If you accidentally purchase a mattress with fiberglass, here are some solutions to handle this situation:
Use the protector
The best way to deal with this material is to use a mattress protector. It can keep the glass fiber from touching your skin directly and causing irritation.
Using a plastic cover is not as effective as using a mattress protector, but it can still provide some protection against fiberglass. It is better than leaving the foam uncovered.
If you want to remove the material from the foam, you can carefully take off the cover and vacuum it. However, bear in mind these things when vacuuming:
- Use a HEPA or ULPA vacuum cleaner designed for catching tiny particles.
- Vacuum in a well-ventilated room because the dust of this fiber is harmful if breathed in.
- After you finish vacuuming, dispose of the vacuum bag properly.
Most spring mattresses have fiberglass. It acts as a flame retardant but may harm your health in some ways. It would be best to avoid this material when buying mattresses. But if you get the wrong one, follow my tips to protect from its impact.
- Is a spring mattress good?
This product has both pros and cons. For example, its coil and innerspring offer good support, comfort, and durability. However, some mattress brands use fiberglass that can cause allergies and respiratory issues.
- Do all cheap mattresses have fiberglass?
May be. This material is common in cheaper mattresses. Yet, the manufacturers try to cover them to keep safe. Meanwhile, higher price brands offer options without fiberglass.
- What are the symptoms of fiberglass exposure?
The material can irritate your eyes and skin. Plus, breathing in the fibers can cause soreness in the throat and nose. People with asthma may find their conditions worsen after exposure.